7.2.10

Hot air

Okay, I know my apartment is really small (so small that every time we walk past the window of the empty apartment downstairs, which is identical to ours, we gawk in and say 'NO WAY is ours that small! No way.'), but still, it speaks to the excessive nature of my hair that whenever I blow dry it the whole flat fills up with steam. We have to stumble around breathing in the hot soupy air for about forty-five minutes before it clears enough that we can see the windows again to open them.

I tutor English in the evenings, and I have a student doing Henry IV this week. Read it, or just google that shit? HA like that's even a legitimate question. 'Read' it, when there are important blogs I could be reading instead, and important nails I could be painting. Although it's kind of undermining my professionalism that every time I sit down with a new student I have to say, 'Now, I've never read this, BUT it seems to me that...', or if I'm feeling crafty, 'Tell me what you feel this text is about.' Then I just have a quick flick through of it while they're writing something down, pick out any old example, and imbue it with significance. Seriously, the more you study high school English, the more full of shit and open to abuse you come to realise it is. I've had to commit the ultimate hypocrisy, 'I know you COULD just make up the quotes, and I know I didn't even notice until you told me,  but I would never... err... yeah, just don't, ok?' The higher the level of English they're taking, the sooner you run across this problem. The point where they realise there is not a teacher (and thus, exam marker) in the world who knows all the texts that well, and therefore they can just make up any old shit and bung it in there and nobody will notice.

Not that I think you should do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment